January 29, 2010

A FEW THOUGHTS FROM THE TEAM

PASTOR EDDIE: Today we went to our next clinic. It was in a storefront church in a poor area of town. It reminded me a lot of the poor areas in the Philippines. My job was crowd control and keeping everyone in line. That is always an effort. People are nice and I feel very comfortable here. It is a great thing to be able to do clinics for people who are in such need. We see all ages from babies to children, men, women, old men and old ladies. They each come hoping for some help. I love it when after a long wait to see the doctor they come walking out of the clinic with medicine in hand and they often smile so big and will some times reach out to shake my hand. We don't speak the language, but the communication at that moment is pretty powerful. What a way to be literally Jesus to them. The pastors and workers are so appreciative. It helps them gain favor with the people they are trying to reach. Two days ago a lady in the village who was very elderly and not well and asked if she would be allowed in the clinic in the church because she believed in another religion. She was welcomed in. And so her first time in the church building may just change how she thinks about things. The the message went out clearly that they were there for her too. Our prayer is that she will grow to understand that Jesus came for her too. God is at work.

TONY: The Orphanage, the kids, their faces, small places, Tent City, life goes on, food is hot and hotter, their willingness to share with all.

SCOTT: India, a country of contrasts. Obscene opulence. Abject poverty. Impatience for candy. endurance for relief of pain. Beautiful smiles. Rotten teeth. Women in their finest cloths; sitting in the middle of a dirt street. The ugliest dogs I have ever seen and I've seen many. Some of the most beautiful children I've ever seen. Greed and thankfullness. The Lord supplies.

CREIG: I have found the people very pleasant and the traffic better then the Philippines. Our hosts have taken us to very strategic areas to get the most from our medical ministry.

KAREN: Everyone loves balloons here. Babies to a 95 year old man. It still amazes me that such a simple thing can make people so happy. I love seeing them break out into a big smile when I hand them a balloon.

DAN: I'm amazed how desperately people attempt to make sure they cover all their bases. They have a dedication to attending temple every morning and offer to multiple gods, even thousands of them. Yet for all their differences they have the same aspirations in life we do. What is missing is the personal relationship with the One who satisfies and loves and seeks us. It also reminds me that in India with the thousands of gods that are apparent everywhere we have raised up our own gods in america of materialism, greed and selfishness.

JIM: One thing that I find as I have traveled is that people are much the same around the world. It doesn't matter whether it is in Asia, Europe, Africa, Latin or South America, people generally want to be accepted and loved. I have seen that in the Indian people, hopefully they have seen God's love as well as ours in our small effort to help them.

SAVANNA: Every street we turn on there is so much to take in about the culture here in Bangalore India and I’m trying to take every bit of it in. At first it was overwhelming because I can see so many medical needs that we cannot help them with, but I quickly came to realize that what we can do for them they are so thankful for and may not ever have gotten any medical attention at all. I was very struck by hearing that many widows are shamed because if their husbands die it is considered the woman’s fault. They are often abandoned by family and must shave their heads and cannot wear the shirt under their saree to cover themselves. Hearing stories like these and many more it’s easy to see that showing even simple gestures of love and caring can do so much for them. I’m so thankful to be here with this team; I have met so many amazing people and am learning so much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed the blog and the pictures. I am ready for another missions trip. Praying for safety, God bless you all.

Sheila